Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It is hard to believe that my first semester in New York is over. Over the last four months I have made some quality friends, I've learned about a handful of places in the city where one can either get a fantastic espresso, an all-organic burrito until 5 am, or a lavender-infused gin-fizz in the same room where Mark Twain used to converse and gallivant. I learned that you can get all the free wine you can handle (and often all of the heartless art you can handle) on Thursdays in Chelsea's gallery district. I think most importantly, though, I've learned that pursuing what you love and are passionate about is one of the most important decisions one can make in life, and that I'm glad that I've made the decision I have.

My art-making took unexpected turns this semester, primarily from learning how to silkscreen. I stumbled upon a method when working on an assignment given to me by Steve DeFrank, my drawing instructor, whose purpose was to create a work that dealt with invisibility. I discovered that silkscreening can make for a fantastic resist-method. The images you see below (and/or to the right) are some examples of some of the imagery I played around with. (images range from a splatter of paint on the sidewalk, to photographs of previous work of mine, to ancestral photographs of Juli Anna's family, to a collage of "found" subway advertisements)












I had my final review yesterday, monday the 3rd. It consisted of me frantically setting up my work, lighting it as best as I could, then waiting for the review committee of two teachers (whom I've not had classes from) to show up, look at my work, and tell me their reactions. Upon viewing my work (the pictures above were included), they basically told me that I was being too safe, and that my "good taste" (with respect to color and composition) was getting in the way of my making my work provocative. What I'll take from the criticism is not to make work that is only provocative, but to attempt to find a way to make work with a certain beauty that still holds its own as being contemporarily interesting….

I am all moved out of my dormitory at the George Washington residence on Lexington Avenue, and for the end of this week I am staying with my cousin Jonathan in Brooklyn. I am eagerly awaiting a concert this coming Saturday: Jonsi, of Sigur Ros, has released a solo album (you can listen to the entire album here for free), and New York is the last stop on his North American tour. I will be returning to California on Monday, May 10th. I look forward to the quiet of the forest, seeing my family and friends, playing with my family's new airedale terrier puppy, and resuming work on the deadwood cabin, but I admit I will miss New York.

1 comment: